Important Update

As Isaiah has gotten older, I’ve tried not to post every little thing online. However, it’s reached a point now where information needs to be shared. So, if you haven’t heard about this, don’t assume I’ve been keeping secrets. I just haven’t shared it.

In November, Isaiah had a seizure right after he fell asleep. I brought him to the doctor after that, to see what needed to be done. His recommendation was to see a neurologist. Unfortunately, pediatric neurologists aren’t exactly easy to come by, so we had a two month wait to get in.

Finally, we saw the neurologist this month. After an exam, he said that Isaiah’s neuro workup looked good, but any seizure needs to be taken seriously. Because Isaiah had never had a seizure before, there was some possibility that it would never happen again. More than half of the people who have a seizure only have one. The catch is that there’s really no way to predict who will have another seizure and who won’t, so it’s basically just a waiting game. The longer he goes seizure free, the greater the possibility it won’t happen again. To be on the safe side, the neurologist ordered an MRI and EEG. The goal with these is to look for markers that might suggest a predisposition toward seizures. Or, if we’re lucky, possibly catch a seizure during the EEG to get more information.


Isaiah at the neurologist's office

On Saturday (Isaiah’s birthday), he had another, smaller seizure, again, while he was asleep. Since he’s only had seizures in his sleep, it raises the question of whether or not there have been others that we just didn’t know were happening. He wakes up totally unaware that anything has happened and I’m a heavy enough sleeper that no one would ever know the difference.

Today, we got up bright and early and headed to the nearest children’s hospital for an MRI. Because Isaiah is so young, he wouldn’t be able to lie still for the hour required for the test, so he was given general anesthesia. In an effort not to totally freak him out, I didn’t give Isaiah many details about what was going to happen. I simply explained that we needed pictures of his brain and that it’s easier to do when he’s asleep, so the doctors would give him medicine to help him do so. He figured he could handle that, but, since he’d be sleeping, he needed a buddy to sleep with. He brought his stuffed lemur, Zaboo, (named after Zaboomafoo) to snuggle.

When we arrived, Isaiah met his nurses (who were amazing) and got settled on his child size bed. They explained to him what was going to happen and let him choose from different scented masks for his anesthesia. He chose bubblegum, which he later decided he hated and would not choose again. Then he got to choose from their toy stash so he’d have something to keep him busy until it was his turn. He choose a magna doodle and set to work creating art, with a little help from Zaboo and the grownups around him.


Hanging out with Zaboo before the MRI


Drawing a picture of Gram


Looks just like her, right?

When it was time to go back, he gave hugs and headed off. My mom and I went to the cafeteria to kill time and have some breakfast. When we returned, it was time to go get him. He was pretty groggy, but happy to see us. The anesthesia upset his tummy a bit, but he was soon declared free to go home, with the recommendation that we not give him any food or drink until we arrived at the house.


He needed his Mama


Gram cuddles


Snuggling his new teddy

By the time we got home, he was back to his happy, bouncy self. He’s pretty sure he never wants another MRI, if they’re going to make him sleep for it, but he survived it. And he knows the EEG will be much easier. And maybe a little cool, according to his buddy at church.

Update: The MRI came back normal. However, that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t have any more seizures. A post about his EEG can be found here.


Share Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s